March 21, 2012

Digital Infrared

I have been dreaming of infrared photography for a while now and am slowly working my way through my tiny infrared film stash. But I was recently lucky and blessed to have the chance to try my hand at digital infrared photography. Having the digital camera's instant feedback was very helpful... it made it much easier to get the exposure right. Needless to say, I had a blast!

A camera with a standard infrared conversion offers lots of possibilities for creating dreamy, surreal images. Green leaves and grass will turn a silvery white, while blue skies take on a beautiful sepia tone. I love it. Of course, the traditional pure black and white, high-contrast infrared look can also be achieved in post processing, making the standard conversion a versatile option.

 Familiar scenes take on a different appearance. The resulting look doesn't appeal to everyone, but I can't get enough of it.

Interesting cloud formations are always helpful...

...and a wide-angle lens is a must!

I think I've found a whole new way to fall in love with photography all over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment